Thursday, May 3, 2012

'The Hindu' on Sholinganallur Aavin dairy

There is one thing I simply can't find at the Aavin dairy in Sholinganallur — cows. For a plant that processes close to 3.8 lakh litres of milk a day, all I see is just a lot of gleaming stainless steel, twisted into pipes and shaped into six enormous silos, standing guard at the entrance. I've just driven down the busy OMR, and entered the sprawling dairy. A ‘wash your hands and feet' board welcomes me as I enter the low, one-storied building, and I dip my feet in a trough of water laced with disinfectant. “Where are the cows?” I ask, as soon as I meet two Aavin employees.
 They smile indulgently; I suppose they get asked this a lot. “All our milk comes from Salem, Coimbatore, Tiruchi and Thanjavur. The Corporation does not allow cows to be reared within city limits,” I'm told. “But I've seen many cows in the city,” I argue. “We don't buy that milk; all our cows are registered, they're under the care of our veterinarians, while the farmers are taught good hygiene practices,”they say.
Read more in The Hindu

No comments:

Post a Comment